Wednesday, March 23, 2011

We Can Do Better

Last week a friend and I were in separate check-out lines at H&M. The cashier was very friendly to the girl ahead of me. I heard her mention how much she liked one of the items the customer bought. When that customer was done she smiled at her and told her have a nice day. I'm up next and I smile, say hello, and hand her my item. She didn't even look at me or open her mouth. The cashier was black and the previous customer was white.

I cant imagine what the hell happened within a few seconds to make this lady completely rude to me for no apparent reason. I remained cool while in the store, but i got pissed when my friend said,"I got this 5 dollar gift card for buying this." I'm like, "I didn't get one." We bought just about the same thing. So I'm standing in front of the store analyzing the situation.

We have all had that gum popping cashier with the attitude that cant even stop chewing to tell you your total, or the one that seems as if she is having a bad day. But, all too often the cashier happens to be another Black woman that gets this automatic attitude when she sees you and this makes me question why Black women treat each other the way we do?

I'd be a narcissist to assume that she was jealous or intimidated by me but, if I see another pretty woman and she's within ear length I would compliment her or smile at her. I would never cut my eyes at her or get an attitude. Why? Because she's cute?!

I also notice that plenty women, regardless of race, continuously critique the next woman. I look at all these blogs dedicated to poking fun at other people based on their hair, clothes and make-up and I wonder "Who Cares?!" If this lady with mahogany colored skin wants to wear bubble gum pink lipstick, let her. It's her choice! What are you proving by being nasty or making fun of another woman?

But, back to my main point, why would you disrespect a complete stranger? Does it make you feel better about yourself to make it obvious that you don't like the way I look? It has to be based on appearance because what more can she gather from me than my face?

I didn't expect this cashier to be overly nice to me but the least amount of respect could have sufficed. What do you think it is that makes Black women have this impulsive hatred for one another?

5 comments:

  1. Wow yeah I would have been pissed... I used to ignore it but now I say stuff like.."Oh yes I'm doing well and had no problem finding what I was looking for thank you so much for asking" besides liars I hate rude people with a passion. A simple ass hi can take you a long way. Ppl need to get over themselves

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll stand there and wait until they acknowledge me. makes them feel awkward. works every time.

    sometimes i'll ask "are you ok?"

    other times, i don't really care because i'm happy with my life!!!!! :)))

    cool blog by the way. i'll be reading more for sure. check out mine if you get a chance!

    xo

    http://howtobeanorphan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most blacks in customer service display this. Subconsciously we shuck and jive all the time.(some of us) We cant blame them its just the norm for how we were brought up in this society "white is right". Somehow we still look for approval of caucasians.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPTteBMJIPs

    Just to reiterate you may have seen or heard of this before.This experiment was done in the 1950's and was conducted more recently with the results being the same. Self Hatred seems to be the culprit here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I am very aware of this experiment. You couldn't have said it better. Thanks for putting the 2 together and thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete