Monday, June 8, 2009

Why Must She Always Break My Heart

My cousin really hurt me today. She is 17 and walks around as if the whole damn world owes her everything. Let me give you the rundown:

I must admit she had a rough childhood. Things went really sour between her and her mom and she had to move from New York to VA to live with my grandmother.

Upon being here she was basically noted EVIL, Strange, Weird, Emo, Hateful, Stupid, Ugly and some more mean things. It was my family that has been telling her all these mean things about herself and she's been here for maybe 2 - 3 years.

My grandmother, uncle, cousins, and aunt have been the culprits for calling her these mean things. And when you hear that negativity from people that are supposed to love you, you eventually believe. I mean this girl has been through hell with her mother as far as we know and maybe even alot more.

So while this girls confidence is being beat down daily my mother decides to take her in because she was stressing my grandmother out. Here my mother was trying to teach her things that a 15 or 16 year old girl should already know how to do. For instance keeping your body clean, taking care of your stuff, doing chores, and making good grades.
She was making great progress and she seemed cold and rude at first but she warmed up. At the end of the year she got really great grades and my mother just told her "Great Job". I think this is where we went wrong. We praised my little brother with so much stuff when he made good grades but we saw her as his equal and we didn't follow through with her.

Her grades started to slip again and then she stole money from my mother and she had to go. My mother sent her back to my grandmothers after a year and a half. Then she was moved to my Uncles because my grandmother was in the hospital and now she is back with my grandma.

So when she was with my mother she did everything for her... Bought school supplies, clothes, and whatever else she needed. So when she moved back with my grandmother I took on that responsibility.

Yeah I was living out on my own (with a roomie) and I was barely making it myself. But, I love her and I made it my responsibility to make sure she had things she needed. My grandma said she would take her to get clothes and a back pack and shoes.

Never happened. I had to sacrifice things I needed to do and I didn't even think twice. I couldn't imagine starting a new school year with no new clothes and shoes. I paid for her to get her hair done,giving her spending money here and there. Now mind you I didn't get a thank you from anyone.

Some more things went down where I was fussing with family members about her and I started to cry. And cry and cry for this little broken girl.

Now she is in her senior year of graduating and she said she didn't want to do prom or graduation. A month before prom she says she wants to go. SO I was like okay. I will take my little unemployment checks and help her pay for prom. She then changed her mind - no problem.

Now Today, she says that she wants to attend her graduation Ceremony. The graduation is Saturday. She has not even paid her senior dues or debts.

I'm heartbroken because I'm going to be in Richmond at my Step Brothers graduation and I can't miss that because we had this planned out for weeks now. It just disturbs my soul that she thinks she can just make these life changing decisions that affects many people. I know her and her mom will never have a very close relationship but she would have busted her ass to come to VA to see her graduate.

How can she be so selfish?

No comments:

Post a Comment