Saturday, February 19, 2011

Double Standards

Being on twitter and talking to a bunch of men, I constantly see them complain and talk about how women are such "jockers" or copy a female's style like Nicki Minaj, Amber Rose, and Rihanna. I personally feel that these women are doing their thing. They are doing great things as far as Branding themselves. Since they breathe fashion and individuality its no mystery why women want to emulate them. These girls are influenced by them and dress like them, wear their hair like theirs, and even call themselves the names of these celebrities.

I don't have a problem with that because famous people have been influencing hair, makeup, and fashion trends since there was a Hollywood. I do have a problem with the men that bash these women for doing so. I have a problem with them because its like the pot calling the kettle black. Men "Dick Ride" so much it's not even funny and its acceptable.

Take a celebrity/athlete like Michael Jordan. Every guy you know that are into sneakers, owns a pair of Jordans or multiple pairs. And wait it does not end there. He can get a Jordan tattoo, have Jordan posters, clothes, and talk about him like he knows him personally. They can tell you his whole life story, stats, etc etc. Is that NOT obsession? I find that to be so extreme. But when a teenaged - early 20's year old female rocks full bangs and calls herself a Barbie she's a Nicki Stan? And when I refer to these men that do that, they are like 21 and up, hell even the ones in their 30's.

So tell me? What makes these men think that its cool for them to rock Air Yeezy's , a Levis jean jacket and skinny jeans and swear that they are so different knowing you just saw a picture of Cudi wearing the exact same thing. Or wait, how about when Ye' dropped "Runaway", so many GROWN men were calling themselves Douchebags because Kanye called himself that..

Another instance is men loving Wiz and Curren$y.. I love them too, but dudes just know they are in the Taylor Gang and are Jets wearing Chuck Taylors and Jets paraphernalia. And these men take it to another level! Wiz and Spitta only smoke papers, so guess what? So many guys only smoke with papers now?

All in all men act like ho ass groupies too.. Excuse my language but I call it as I see it.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It goes both ways. It's just more noticeable with women. Black men have a plethora examples to admire and copy whereas the average black female has only a few african-american icons worth checking, one of those being Nicki.

    I will say this though. The epidemic is far worse with girls. What do you think is worse. A dude running out to buy a bunch of jordans, or a girl changing her facebook name to somethin something harajuku barbie something with bright orange red swan tutu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you're saying. I know that some women take things to an extreme to dedicate their lives to being this character.. the only thing is that I feel a man is overt with his behavior of mimicry as well.. Its just more acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the Double Standard, Oh how I love them!! I couldn't agree with this post anymore! It seems like when the men have a male to idolize, it’s okay. I don’t see any difference. Great example with the Taylor gang stuff. I heard dudes saying that, but I first I wouldn't believe they were claiming that JUST because a male rapper was claiming it. Like you said, there is no difference. With the few females we have in the game, we might take something that we dig about them and incorporate into our own lives.

    ReplyDelete